2024 Poetry & Prose DATES:
April 10 - 19, 2024
9:00 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 1:00 p.m.
Location: Tulare County Office of Education - 6200 S. Mooney Blvd, Visalia
Grade Levels: Kindergarten - 8th Grade
Poetry & Prose ON-STAGE is one of our longest-running student events, having been held at TCOE for 39 years! This oral interpretation celebration has grown into a seven-day event with over 1,400 kindergarten through eighth-grade students performing their poetry and prose selections before an appreciative audience of family, friends, teachers and judges. There is no cost for schools to participate in this event. Family and friends are encouraged to attend!
Students may perform as a solo, or as part of a duo, small group (3-5) or large group (6-10). Knowledgeable, experienced judges evaluate each performance and provide oral and written feedback. Every student receives a beautiful personalized certificate with their award of Good, Very Good, Excellent, or Superior before they leave the event.
1. CLICK THIS LINK to register your school to participate - Time slots fill up quickly, so don't delay! Please be sure to note if your school is sharing transportation with another school.
2. Coaches must enter their group performance information online at https://pnp.tcoe.org by March 15, 2024.
Each school may register up to 8 groups/performances, with a total of 30 students maximum. This registration worksheet can be helpful in organizing your groups.
• No costumes or props are allowed including hats/headbands, etc. (school spirit t-shirts are permitted)
• Material must be age-appropriate and suitable for a K-8 event (no questionable language / violent content etc.)
• Recitations in languages other than English are allowed and encouraged!
• Performances are limited to a 3-minute maximum.
Looking for suitable and engaging material for your students? Check out our TCOE Poetry & Prose Resource books. You'll find favorite Poetry & Prose selections for all ages collected from teachers at this event over the years.
We also encourage you to print and share these Poetry & Prose Performance Tips for Kids with your students to help them make the most of their experience on stage. This sample judges' sheet will explain what the judges will be looking for when they evaluate the student performances.
For scheduling and event information, contact Brook Killingsworth: firstname.lastname@example.org or (559) 733-6326
2024 Poetry & Prose forms and information:
- 2024 Poetry & Prose complete event guidelines & FAQ's
- 2024 Poetry & Prose permission slip - PDF
- 2024 Poetry & Prose permission slip (Spanish) - PDF
- 2024 Poetry & Prose School Schedule (updated as schools are registered)