The Tulare County Office of Education (TCOE) is the local agency that provides credentialing services to school districts, charter schools and individuals across the county. TCOE provides guidance and information on state requirements and regulations as well as reviews applications to ensure accuracy and completion before submitting to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for final approval.

Our Credentials Department can provide the following services:

  • Issue credential applications and renewal forms, and assist applicants with the application process for all credential types including:
    1. K-12 Teaching and Services Credentials
    2. Substitute Permits
    3. Vocational and Adult Education Credentials
    4. Child Development Permits
    5. Provide advice and assistance with credential issues
  • Answer credentialing questions for teachers and administrators employed in Tulare County and others seeking credential information.
  • Assist credentialed teachers from other states or countries with California certification requirements and the application process.
  • Advise and serve as a liaison to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for Tulare County's forty-three school districts.

Contact names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for the Credentials staff at the Tulare County Office of Education can be found on the Human Resources Division Directory page.

Clear, Professional, or Professional Clear Credentials and 30 Day Emergency Substitute Permits can only be renewed online. To complete the online renewal process, proceed to the Commission's website at www.ctc.ca.gov. For detailed instructions of the online renewal process, please click here​ to open "How to Renew".

If you are employed by a public school in Tulare County, or are seeking employment, we encourage you to submit all credential applications (except online renewals) to our Credentials Department for processing. The only applications we will be unable to process are for those completing their initial K-12 teaching or services credential who have completed a program in California. 

All completed applications are forwarded to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing on the applicant's behalf.

Exam schedules for Credential exams are available in the Credential office or at www.ctcexams.nesinc.com.

Substitute Information

Persons wishing to substitute teach in Tulare County will first need to be cleared through the Tulare County Office of Education. This may require applying for a credential or permit, or completing fingerprint and TB clearance(s), if a credential is already held.

If you prefer to apply directly to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for your Substitute Permit, you may find additional information on their website at www.ctc.ca.gov. Please note that if you choose to apply directly for your Substitute Permit, you will not be able to complete our Substitute process until your document has been granted, and you will still need to complete our employment process including fingerprinting and TB clearance.